Thursday, October 9, 2008

Not Just the Green














In my previous article about NBA-to-Europe posterboy Josh Childress, I mentioned that his primary reason for playing in Europe is the vertitable Aegean sea of Euros he'll swim in for making the jump.

Still, saying that was his sole reason is cynical and short-sighted.

Instead, as this interview with Frank Lawlor of euroleague.net shows, he's thinking of more than buckets of purple, yellow, green, orange, blue, a kind of mauveish rouge, and grey.

To wit:

As a player who proved himself at all levels in your own country, what attracted you to the European game in the prime of your career?

"I think just seeing the style of play here in terms of getting back to a team game was something that really attracted me. I had been four years in the NBA and it's a different game. This is little more team-focused, team-oriented, which is something I felt like it would be good to get back to."

Some people have called Euroleague game a perfect hybrid between the NCAA and the NBA: the very passionate crowds and team basketball of the former, with a skill level that is always getting closer to the latter. Do you see that comparison as accurate?

"I think it's a very accurate comparison. It's the same exact thing that I would say, both ways. And I think that year after year that skill level is getting higher. European basketball is getting better and more skillful at the same time."


Do you consider yourself a trailblazer?

"People have called me that, and I do agree to an extent. I guess I am just the first guy in my position who wanted to try Europe at this stage of his career. And I'm going to give it my best shot. Whether a trailblazer or not, I felt comfortable that this was a good fit for me. I am sure it will be an eye-opener for other guys who will see me and maybe give Europe a shot, too."



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's kind of weird the way Childress is speaking of european ball and the level of the euroleague although the euroleague competition has not started yet...

Evin Demirel said...

Well, Kevin, Josh has already gone through training camp and a few preseason games and has gotten a taste for the FIBA ball through those.

But yes, the level of play will amp up quite a bit once his Euroleague season begins Oct. 23.